The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation have released a poll on what Americans think of feminism (New Wave feminism) today. The results are a little bit fascinating, including:
- 6 in 10 women and one-third of men call themselves a feminist or strong feminist
- Roughly 7 in 10 of men and women say the movement is empowering.
- 4 in 10 Americans see the movement as angry, and a similar portion say it unfairly blames men for women’s challenges.
- Younger women are more optimistic about movement across a variety of measures
- More than 4 in 10 say they’ve expressed their views about women’s rights on social media.
Here are the complete results, plus information on how the poll was conducted. As Jac points out (and thanks for the links), Americans said the top priority for improving women’s lives is “reducing domestic violence and sexual assault”. The second priority is “equal pay for equal work” Amen. And amen.